Saturday 12 June 2010

The first actual archive post




Well, "23 Things Cambridge" certainly kept me busy. So busy, in fact, that I haven't managed to post anything about my work at the Centre for South Asian Studies (CSAS) yet. At the moment I am cataloguing the archive of rare books in preparation of CSAS's big move to its new site on West Road next year. I did my first round of cataloguing early this week and luckily, most books were already catalogued and only needed updating. So it was an easy start.
I would like to use this blog to say a few words about books I catalogued and that caught my attention for one reason or another. In this week's lot there was one book about Railways in India. Now, I find railways highly fascinating (my father used to work for a railway company, so I basically grew up with and on them). This book does not only give a very detailed and interesting account of the history of railways in India but it also contains numerous pictures. I find the idea of transporting elephants by train particularly intriguing.


The tracks look rather wide. Will have to check the book for any information on this ...


2 comments:

  1. That's really interesting, thanks for sharing your project with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tracks look wide because Indian railways were mostly built to a wider gauge than most European railways. The gauge is 5'6" (1.676m) compared to 4'8.5" (1.485m).

    ReplyDelete