Tuesday 1 June 2010

iGoogle and RSS feeds

A blog on Thing 1 and 2 (in case you're wondering what "Things" I'm going on about check out http://23thingscambridge.blogspot.com/). Well, that's not so easy. Thing 1 was setting up a Google ID and an iGoogle page. I've already had a Google ID but so far I've managed to resist Google's attempts at taking over my privacy (after all, I've already sold my soul to Facebook), but - there you go - all in the name of progress:













I guess iGoogle makes sense if you want to have one central place to store RSS feeds and links (i.e. Thing 2). For this purpose I've used "protopage" so far which does basically the same that iGoogle does, though not quite as colourful and it also gives a reassuring sense (or illusion?) of anonymity since it is not directly linked to email accounts. However, protopage does not have any applications and that is something I quite like about iGoogle, especially the Copac search and Cambridge Libraries Widget. Given that there will undoubtedly be more potentially useful applications in the future, it is likely that I will make use of my iGoogle page more regularly.

2 comments:

  1. I'm undecided about iGoogle yet, but like you I can see it has potential. Saving it as my homepage is forcing me to work out whether it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bettina,

    Another way to utilise RSS is through something like JournalTOCs http://www.journaltocs.hw.ac.uk/ which gives access to the Tables of Contents of over 14,000 scholarly journals.

    ReplyDelete