Monday 23 August 2010

Marketing

So far, I have mostly been on the receiving end of library marketing and maybe this is what I should write about, given Dominique's excellent post about Jerwood Library's marketing strategies.

In an earlier blog I mentioned that for students it is very important to know the librarians and to find them approachable. This is exactly, where I see the strength of social media. Especially facebook (and to some extent possibly also twitter) accounts give a sense of approachability and involvement. They also show the library as an active place - if the library updates are posted accordingly. This all is very important, certainly for bigger libraries where it is too easy to loose touch with readers but also for smaller ones.

However, I would like to conclude with a quote from Dominique's blog, to which I fully agree:
"What can be more 'social' than a chat in person?"

No comments:

Post a Comment