Thursday 26 August 2010

The last post ...

This is my last officially scheduled blog entry for the "23 Things Cambridge" workshop and I will work through the questions of the main blog as the answers will make a nice summary of my reflections.

Which Things did you find most useful, or thought-provoking?
The most useful Thing was certainly blogging, and I don't mean my own blogs but rather blogs of other librarians. It was (and still is) great to see other's opinion about the Things but also to read about their work and libraries. I hope that all librarians will keep on blogging - I would love to read more from them.

Which didn't you find useful at all?
In my opinion, the least useful Thing we looked at was iGoogle. I set the account up but don't make use of it at all anymore. It is not only slow but also much less user friendly than providers of similar services (such as Protopage).

Which have you persisted with?
Well, I hope to continue blogging about more archive and library related adventures in the future. I continue to use many of the Things, such as facebook, twitter, slideshare, Google-docs and LinkedIn, but I have used these before the 23 Things workshop. I will look at some of the Things in more detail (for example Library Thing) as this wasn't possible during the 23 Thing rush through Things.

What about Web 2.0 and social media? How do you think they are shaping library services?
As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, the main influence of Web 2.0 and social media on library services is that they give librarians a powerful tool and platform to shape library servies and the way they are perceived by readers and the community. This means that I don't think that Web 2.0 and social media shape library servies but rather that librarians will be better able to shape their services when they use them. I think that these developments will change the way librarians are perceived quite dramatically in the future - if we make use of them.

(Click image to enlarge)


Wordle: Archive-Live

5 comments:

  1. Oh I love your Wordle, the primary colours and all the angles of the words!

    Well done on completing 23 Things!

    Celine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! You made it, despite moving house and being off-line for quite a while. Glad you enjoyed the programme - I think it's been great and very inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bettina,

    I have very much enjoyed reading your blogs too and apologise for not having had time to comment on more of them. I agree it has all been rather a rush, although a rewarding one.

    I hope the 23 Things give you the confidence you deserve as you set out on a career in libraries and archives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on finishing, Bettina! Hope to see you on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete